Well interesting meeting! We were discussing our agenda for the year and who is remaining in the group and who is leaving. Only one of the team would be leaving due to leaving the area for work but he had already told us and brought in someone he thought could take his place. The lady is a lay preacher and from what we saw a very passionate speaker – meetings are going to get more interesting! One of the decisions on the table was charitable donations. We have some fund raisers through the year and the odd donation came in last year so we all agreed on the charity we would donate to thinking it better to make the decision for the year rather than every time we had some funds. Last year we had all agreed on Breast Cancer. Then the shock in May ’15 when the FTC -Federal Trade Confederation along with the Attorney General brought action against 4 Breast Cancer Charities. They had been investigated before and according to the FTC the donations that were suppose to be intended for cancer sufferers and research that in fact only 3% got to them and the other 97% funded expenses paid trips for chief executives and other personal use. Now 2 of those charities are being dissolved. Now that is in the hands of the law but the ramifications are widespread, the confidence in our charities being badly damaged even for such a small group such as ours. We had a lively discussion on how to decide on which charity was legitimate, how do we know? One of the member had already been thinking about it and he brought in some information he had researched, the outcome being a sub group was formed of which I am one, to look into some of the charities we have been thinking about and bring a protocol together for us for the future and one which is intended for us to share with other relevant parties. I thought the information would be of a value to others so I intend to share some on here. We also were also given notice even though it is our second year that we are getting requests for assistance which is not what we are about, so we need to explore how we present ourselves. I personally feel our fund raising grew more out of events planned to bring us together as a group rather than actual fundraising per se  but they evolved into that without a lot of thought on our part and as such my view is we need to avoid going down that route again. I am not alone with this as a group we are about 50-50 so got my work to cut out to break that stalemate. What do others think?

(Visited 125 times, 1 visits today)